One of my coworker’s is having a baby and we decided to throw her a surprise baby shower with a Mexican theme. Of course, I signed up for dessert, and got to working on some churro cupcakes! The recipe is super easy and makes 24 cupcakes. Although she’s having a girl, she’s not into the traditional pink. I knew she was having her own mermaid themed baby shower with purple and turquoise, so I decided on using those colors as well. I like to use Pillsbury funfetti frosting as it saves me the trouble of having to dye the frosting. I used Aqua Blue and Bold Purple. Going along with the mermaid theme, I added some edible pearls which reminded me of the ocean and made for a sweet, feminine touch.
For the cupcakes:
- 4 egg yolks + 2 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 4 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tsp cinnamon
For the icing:
- 2 tubs Pillsbury Funfetti frosting in your choice of color
- 1 tsp vanilla extract per tub of frosting
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon per tub of frosting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Using a stand mixer with the whisk attachment, whisk the eggs. Add 1 cup sour cream, 2 sticks of butter, and 4 tsp of vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, mix together 3 cups flour, 1 1/2 cups sugar, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 3 tsp cinnamon, and a teaspoon each of baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until combined.
- Using an ice cream scoop, pour batter into cupcake liners about 2/3 full.
- Bake for 16 – 20 minutes, rotating once.
- In the meantime, scoop out 1 tub of frosting into a stand mixer. Add 1 tsp vanilla and 1/2 tsp cinnamon and mix.
- Put frosting in a piping bag with a star tip.
- Repeat step 7 and 8 for the other tub of frosting and frost the cooled cupcakes.
Follow me on Facebook for the how-to video!
I used a disposable cupcake carrier from Michael’s, which was perfect to deliver all 24 cupcakes in one piece. It really gave them a professional look; many people thought they were store bought!
These are sure to be a huge hit at your next pot luck! How great would they look with red, white and green frosting for a special treat on Cinco de Mayo? The possibilities are endless. Enjoy!